Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Surgery was a Ten

Yesterday's tympanoplasty was a "10," both literally and figuratively. It was the tenth surgery in my 42 years of medical history, and it scored a perfect "10" with me. My surgeon (Dr. Robert Owens), the hospital (Baylor UMC Dallas), and all of the staff were great, and the outcome was much easier than expected.

The only thing that wasn't a "10" was my pain scale, and that's a good thing! I was expecting lots of pain and balance problems, but so far I've been walking straight and managing with an occasional ice pack and over-the-counter Tylenol tablet. I'm fuzzy from the anesthesia and pretty tired from the steroids that kept the swelling down (and me up all night), but I can't complain. It's just a reminder that I have survived GBM long enough to start dealing with some of the long-term effects of treatment!

No comments: