Sunday, October 30, 2011

For of Such is the Kingdom of Heaven

Every year around October we are blessed to have our Ward's Primary present a program during Sacrament Meeting.  For those of you not of our faith, Primary is like Sunday School for children ages 3 to 11.  This year's program was titled "I Know the Scriptures are True".  The program consists of children singing songs and presenting words that they have practiced over the past year.  This is always one of the best Sacrament Meetings of the whole year.  

Earlier I was asked to teach Jacob's Primary class this week.  It also meant that I would be able to sit with him on the stand and help his class with their talks.  I was more than happy to accept.  It was much better than sitting with the congregation without Emma and Jacob next to me.  It's times like that, despite being in a crowd, that I find myself feeling lonely and missing holding hands with Krista as she would lean her head on my shoulder.  With that in mind I jumped at the chance to substitute for Jacob's teacher.

Jacob's class talked about Temples.  How the Lord has commanded His people to build Temples unto Him though all dispensations of the Gospel.  They talked about Moses being commanded to build a tabernacle in the wilderness, King Solomon using the finest materials available to build a temple, and the early pioneers of the church working and sacrificing to build temples as commanded of the Lord.  Jacob had a special assignment to share his feelings about the Temple.  He has much to be thankful for when it comes to the temple, including his sealing and Emma's sealing to our family and now dealing with the death of his mom.  Here's the words he shared at church today:
"I’m thankful for the temple.  It has been an important part of my life since before my birth.  I was born on March 13th 2001 to my birth mom Jessica.  She knew it was important for me to be sealed to my parents in the Temple but she also knew she couldn’t do that for me.  She was blessed to know that I was supposed to be adopted by my mom and dad who could offer me these blessings.  On June 9th 2001 I was sealed to my mom and dad in the Dallas Temple.  I was only 3 months old so I don’t remember much about it but 4 years later I was able to watch as Emma was sealed to our family.  I remember both Emma and I were dressed in white and taken to the sealing room where my parents were waiting for us.  I remember how beautiful the room was with mirrors on the walls that made it look like you could see forever.  I saw how happy mom and dad were and I remember how warm and happy I felt.  I realize now those feelings were from the Holy Ghost telling me that Emma had just become a part of our forever family.
Since mom died the Temple has become even more special to me.  I know because we have been sealed in the Temple I will be able to live with her again, she is still my mom and always will be.  This is why I’m thankful for the Temple."
Children have a capacity to share the spirit, with innocence and sincerity, that is pure and sweet.  Seeing them come to the pulpit one at a time and share words full of faith and love helped me to understand the words of Christ as found in Matthew 19:14:
"But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven."
We had a little taste of heaven today.  

No comments: