Tuesday, November 29, 2005

What I want to remember and what I want to forget

I keep mulling over the neurosurgeon's comment that my memory may be affected by this surgery. It is a sobering thought.

Here are a few things I want to remember (in no particular order):
  • My family members & friends
  • My dog (and especially to FEED my dog)
  • All the reasons why I fell in love with my husband
  • What it felt like to hold my children the first time
  • All the funny things my children have done (yes, Mom - I hear you saying, "I TOLD you to write all that stuff down when it happened!")
  • How to sing
  • How to clog dance (not that I do it very often, but it's kind of cool, albeit harsh on the knees)
  • My clients and what I am supposed to be doing for them
  • The lessons I have learned from past adversity (self-imposed and life-imposed)
  • Where I hid the Christmas presents
  • My passwords for email and phone
  • When to pay the bills online
  • Important dates, like birthdays and anniversaries
  • Why I NEVER pump gas (simple reason: I never have, so why start now?)
  • How to get my daughter to fall asleep when she's overtired
  • All the silly "I love you" games I do with my son (like the kiss "pump spray", the "I super duper shmooper scooper flooper mooper - etc. - love you", and stuff like that).
  • Who is on the phone when they shout "WHAT?!!!" as their greeting (my brother, Jim).
  • My obsession with daily exercise (started nearly 3 years ago and will only allow doctor-ordered bedrest or brain surgery ICU recovery as excuses not to exercise)
  • How to make my favorite foods
  • What I gave people as gifts, so I don't give the same thing again
  • The fact that I am allergic to pennicillin
  • How horrifying my "fat jeans" are, and how much I want to get back into my "skinny jeans"

Things I'd like to forget:

  • Stupid mistakes (except for the lessons learned)
  • Embarrassing moments
  • What it feels like to wake up from brain surgery
  • Anything that makes me wake up in the middle of the night to worry about
  • How much money I spent on Black Friday
  • Painful experiences (except for the lessons learned)
  • How much I like cookies

I'm sure both lists will grow, but at least it's a start...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Evening Song remembers you and we are praying and thinking about you and your family. Your singing and friendship was enjoyed by us all. We miss you.

Wishing you the best and hoping that your wishes come true :)