Thursday, July 19, 2007

...and NINETEEN!

I's actually 19 months and one week!

(Since my diagnosis, not since my last blog post!)

I've been a tardy poster (again) because I've been a busy girl!

I spent my 19 month milestone at a wonderful family reunion in Utah. Our trip was a reunion in lots of fun ways.

First of all, there is nothing like bonding with my husband and kids on a 20-hour road trip from Texas to Utah. We saw beautiful scenery going through western Texas, into New Mexico, and through western Colorado and eastern Utah. We spent a little time on historic Route 66 and stayed overnight at the historic and kitchy El Rancho Hotel in Gallup, NM. We learned the value of a spray bottle of water for resolving sibling disputes in the back seat (much more amusing and nicer than yelling at the kids). We enjoyed seeing our son get so excited as we passed by beautiful rock formations and arches, and playing the game of whinnying anytime we spotted a Ford Mustang (my husband's favorite car). We were also pleasantly surprised at our daughter's decision to be potty trained on the trip. (That was easy!)

The official reunion was for my paternal side of the family. I hadn't been to one for a long time, and since they are only held every couple of years I certainly didn't want to miss this one. My paternal grandparents are deceased, but we were fortunate to be surrounded by their brothers and sisters, my dad's brothers and sisters, and cousins galore (and their kids). We had so much fun being among a huge crowd of people who loved each other and shared so many memories together. Some of us commented about how that must be what heaven will be like.

A side benefit was the opportunity for a mini-reunion with some of my husband's family. We stayed with his parents, and we were able to see his two sisters, who live with their families in Utah. One of his brothers came in from Michigan, and one came in from Nevada, so we had more opportunities to feel the love.

I had a brief lunch reunion and book signing with support group members while I was there, and before we knew it we were off again for the ride home. As always, these trips are never long enough, especially since I would have loved another gaggle reunion or a Cloggers West reunion or a myriad of other opportunities while we were in Utah.

Our trip home was delayed by another "trip" -- this time it was my son landing face first on the only part of his grandma's sofa that wasn't soft. I had to hold his hand and try to comfort him as the ER doctor put three stitches into his upper lip. He was hurting and terrified, but he was a brave little guy, and he was happy to go home with his glove "balloon" and a new teddy bear and truck (thanks to some kind folks who donated gifts for pediatric emergency patients).

The delay meant getting home safe and sound but very late, so it was nice to be snug in our own beds again. And we think the stitches have finally cured my son of his thumb-sucking habit. All is well.

My next adventure is a trip through the MRI tube this coming Monday. I am once again at another fateful nine-month point (more than nine months since my last recurrence was confirmed) and I am once again leaning on prayers and hoping for miracles. After all, I've made it this far!


LCM said...

I am so happy to see your posting. I actually laughed about the water squirter. We should try that. I am glad you are still hanging around, getting to be with your family.
We have done that exact ER trip. Ours was for a fight with a carpet cleaner and only one stitch in the lip. I second the thanks for all those people who donate stuff to kids in crisis. The cancer ward we go to always has special things. Here's to another clean scan!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that you had an overall wonderful trip (despite the ER visit)! We had an ER visit ourselves a couple of weeks ago when my 3-year-old swallowed a penny that got lodged in his throat. The x-ray looked like he was wearing a choker necklace. And congrats on the potty training with your cute daughter! I sure wish my son would hurry along with the whole potty-training thing! I'll still be praying for you, as always.

Love and (((hugs)))
Teri from the gaggle

Anonymous said...

Cancer seems to be everywhere...

Dave just had a melanoma removed from under his ear that was the size of a quarter. He can no longer donate blood and will have cancer checks every six months. Luckily, they think they got it all and they decided not to do a catscan, but anytime I hear the word makes my skin crawl.

I'll keep you in my prayers.



Dedee said...

Glad to see you posting. It sounds like your reunion was a blast. Our big one is next year and I can't wait.

Good luck on the MRI. I'll be praying for you!

Proud Daughter of Eve said...

Ah, ER visits. Always such fun. Glad to hear everyone had a good time. I can't even imagine what such a reunion would be like; my family on both sides seems fairly content with the distance (both physical and emotional) between us. I'm so glad for you that you have that support and that you were able to see everyone again. :)

Best wishes for your trip through the tube on Monday!