Sunday, February 01, 2009

Cub Scouts will save my life?

I serve in many callings in church. I am a music chairperson, a choir director, and a teacher. Recently I was also asked to be a cubmaster.

Naturally I said yes, because:

1. My son will soon be entering cub scouts; and
2. I can do it, so why not?

I think as soon as I held my son for the first time I knew I would be involved in scouting. There's a reason why mothers also get an award when their son becomes an Eagle Scout.

Plus it's kinda cute to be involved in cub scouts. My husband and I always called each other "bear," and so naturally we loved having a "J"-cub (Jacob). We used to call him "the cub" when he was a baby. Soon he'll be a wolf cub.

Today after church I had a brief orientation meeting, and I learned something really cool. I was told that this is usually a long-term assignment, and I should plan on doing this for the next four or five years.

I'm happy to be doing anything above ground for the next four or five years! And if what I'm doing involves working with my son, I'm doubly blessed.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Congrats on being able to do something that requires a long term commitment, you can do it!

Anonymous said...

You will be a great cubmaster. It requires somebody that is fun and outgoing. Good luck! I was involved with cubscouts for quite a long time. I've been the Wolf, Bear and Webelos Leader. I seemed to move around with my boys. Good times.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, forgot to put my name...that last message was from me, Jeri