Friday, January 07, 2011

Lead, Kindly Light

When I was very young my mom endeavored to teach me to play the piano. I remember countless hours practicing while I wished I was doing something else a bit more entertaining. Whenever I would complain about it my mom would tell me that someday when I was a missionary I would be in an area where I would be the only person that could play the hymns for church. At that point I would just roll my eyes and get back to practicing still wishing I was elsewhere. Needless to say, my mom's prediction came true.

While I was serving a mission in Japan there was rarely an area I was in that had someone who could play the piano. I was able to provide the accompaniment to the congregational hymns for most of the two years of my mission. I'm thankful for a mother that had the foresight to not give up on a young boy knowing that the benefit greatly outweighed anything I lost. I never became a great pianist but I learned enough to play hymns (which was my mom's goal) and compose some simple arrangements and original songs.

Many times when I find myself alone with my thoughts and the pains of mortality I turn to the piano for comfort. Sometimes it's much easier to express my emotions through the piano then verbally. Today was one of those days. While flipping through the hymn book I came across "Lead, Kindly Light". This brought back a flood of memories and emotions. A few years ago Krista used the first verse in her post titled "One Step Enough For Me". She compared it with our experience of adopting our Emma. Showing that sometimes we just need to trust the Lord. Knowing that he has a plan for us should be enough. We don't need to know the outcome we just need to take that next step and put our trust in Him and let Him lead us to where He wants us to be.

Lead, kindly Light, amid th’encircling gloom, lead Thou me on!
The night is dark, and I am far from home; lead Thou me on!
Keep Thou my feet; I do not ask to see
The distant scene; one step enough for me.

As I sat at the piano reading the lyrics I got to the third verse with tears streaming down my face I read:

So long Thy power hath blest me, sure it still will lead me on.
O’er moor and fen, o’er crag and torrent, till the night is gone,
And with the morn those angel faces smile, which I
Have loved long since, and lost awhile!

I have lost my angel. Thankfully it's only for "awhile". I look forward to the day that we meet again, to once again see her smiling face and walk hand in hand. I know, with the Lord, we are never lost. He is the good shepherd and He knows his sheep. We must put our faith in Him and trust that He will lead through this trial, for there is no way around it. And if we are faithful we will reach the end of our journey and look upon His face and hear the words "Well done, thou good and faithful servant.. enter thou into the joy of thy lord." Matthew 25:21.

8 comments:

Kristin said...

I loved following Krista's posts and am so grateful you have continued to post. Thank you for sharing this. It really gave me a boost and helped me remember my testimony and faith. Thank you thank you.

Ashley Funk said...

Thanks for sharing, Jared. I don't know if you remember my family from our brief time in Plano, but I have kept up with Krista's blog since we moved away and have always found it so uplifting. And since her passing, I have found your posts so inspiring (and heartwrenching). It is so refreshing to read faith-filled commentary on the trials of life. I think of your family often and continue to pray for you and your children. Krista truly was an angel and I feel blessed to have known her!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the truly inspiring and testimony-building blog posts. Your faith is wonderful and remarkable. After I read the last post about how you felt when Jacob was so sick and how you'd lost sweet Krista just 3 weeks to the day earlier and wondered if you might lose him too, I was just amazed at how even with these trials that you are going through, and I can only barely imagine what they must truly be like, that even going through all you've been through, you aren't angry but instead faithful and trusting in the Lord. You're an inspiration just as Krista was (and still is). Thanks Jared!

Josh and Kristen said...

Thanks again, Jared!

Clyde said...

Just beautifully inspiring... Another hit at my house!

Anonymous said...

I glanced over at you Friday during Helen's funeral and wondered how you were doing so soon after your angel's passing. But as I listened to those words of reassurance and peace from Helen's children, I thought how they reaffirmed our knowledge that our time here on earth is short, a mere blip on the radar screen, compared to an eternity with our beloved family. Just as Helen is watching over her loved ones, praying, encouraging, preparing, and waiting for that grand reunion with them, so is Krista, and my parents, and all those who've passed the test and earned their rest. What blessed comfort! Till we meet again, indeed.

Nat said...

I can't even begin to express my love, admiration and also heartache for such an incredibly amazing woman! She has been my "blogging" mentor and inspiration! I was directed to her years ago by family (we grew up in PG) who knew she would benefit me in my hopes and dreams of having a family. I have followed her blog and had the opportunity to meet her at BYU conf., as I was drowning in tears! I'm thankful for the many years of advice, love and encouragement she gave!... she will remain on my blog as "My Inspiration", as she has throughout many years! She truly is an angel!!! I pray for your precious family in these hard times and days to come! I hope the spirit will find you comfort! Joy fills my heart knowing that you are an eternal family and will soon embrace eachother! Thank you for continuing her legend! <3

Krista said...

Thank you once againf or the uplifting message and reminder!