Saturday, February 05, 2011

If ye are prepared...

Monday night I had to run to the store to get paper lunch bags for a school project that Emma was turning in the next day. When I arrived at the store I was surprise by the hoard of shoppers I had to wade through just to buy some lunch bags. I didn't realize what was going on until I started talking to the lady ahead of me in the checkout line. We were expecting a big ice storm to hit that night and everyone was stocking up on food and water to last through the storm. This was a new experience for me. We have always had enough food, water and needed supplies stored in our home to last far beyond what any storm could last. I was thankful that we were prepared for such an emergency and didn't have to endure masses of frantic shoppers to make sure we could weather the storm. And what a storm it was this time.

Usually when it snows here in Plano it starts with freezing rain and sleet and by the time the snow hits the roads are covered in ice making it quite treacherous to drive anywhere. Schools and business shut their doors and people hide out in their homes until the ice thaws. Usually it only lasts a day or two. This time we had to wait four days before the roads thawed and life could return to normal. During that time, thanks to having a set of snow chains, we were able to get out of the house now and then. We had a great time checking up on friends, spending time with family and making it to one of the few good sledding hills in the area. Many times while we were out we ended up helping someone else get their car out of a snow bank or off the shoulder of the road. Being prepared for this situation made all the difference. Not only for us but others we were able to help because we were prepared.

A week before Krista passed away she was talking with her father about what was going on with her life. She recently finished her radiation and chemotherapy for the metastatic tumor that was on her spine. She had regained much of the mobility in her legs that was lost because of the pressure the tumor was placing on her nerves and the pain associated with that pressure was mostly gone. We were anxiously waiting her follow-up MRI and her oncologist appointment to see how effective the treatment was. All signs were pointing to the possibility of good news. But as she was talking to her father she mentioned that no matter what the outcome was or whatever happened all would be well. If she were to die it would be okay because she was ready and knew that the Lord would take care of her and her family. Krista had been preparing for this for years. It brings immense peace to me knowing that she was ready to leave this life and return to her Father in Heaven. Again, being prepared made all the difference. Definitely for her, but also for us and all those who love her.

We don't know what tomorrow will bring. Hopefully we can say the same thing whatever may happen, that all will be well. To have that peace is a great blessing. For the Lord has said "if ye are prepared ye shall not fear" Doctrine and Covenants 38:30

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jared,

You write so eloquently; just as Krista did. I think you are right-if you are prepared, all will be well. My husband has gbm just as Krista had and we never miss a moment to say "I love you" to each other. We always said it before his diagnosis, but now it truly has so much more meaning. If something happens to him, I will be devestate, but the one thing I will be sure of, is my husband cherished me and I cherished him. It keeps me calm in the eye of the storm.

I happened upon another blog of a GBM sufferer about the same time I found Krista's. (about 6 months ago) Cathy is fighting for her life right now in the hospital and the doctors have said they can do no more. Her husband is of course heart broken, but like you and Krista, he and Cathy have a deep love for each other and an unending faith in God. Is there a possibility that he could email you to talk if he wanted to? I don't think there are many people in the world who knows what he is going through, so when I saw his update on his wife, I thought how helpful you may be to him. It may be too soon for you,and I completely understand if that is the case, but if you would be willing, would you email me so that I can pass your address on to him?

Thank you so much,

Heather
Coloradotylers@gmail.com

Mari said...

Thanks for this post and for continuing with the blog. I draw great strength and inspiration from your wisdom and example.

Krista said...

Such an important reminder! Especially as the earth seems in more turmoil, we need to be spiritually and physically prepared for anything.

Kristin said...

Thank you for sharing your powerful testimony. It has truly touched my heart and reminded me of our purpose here on earth. I'm so grateful you continue to post on this blog.