Tuesday, October 03, 2006

May All Our Dreams Come True

My sister-in-law told me about a dream she had about me. This goes down in the record books as the best phone conversation of my week.

She said that in her dream, I was five years post-diagnosis, with no tumor recurrence. I had published thirty books, and was on the Today show, talking about how to live life to its fullest. And because of my amazing longevity we decided to have my original pathology slides re-examined. The re-examination revealed that I had been misdiagnosed all along.

May all her dreams come true! The situation she described is the only way that I could be "done" with this cancer business, without being dead. At first I thought, "Hey - I've had that possibility cross my mind before, as though I should seek another opinion. Coincidence or not?" And then I had to remind myself that, OF COURSE, the idea of misdiagnosis would cross my mind. It's the ultimate way of indulging in denial - a natural coping mechanism when facing a serious situation. The reality is that I have already had multiple doctors review my pathology report. There are no questions about the diagnosis.

It's okay, though. Even though misdiagnosis is unlikely, the opportunity for a miracle is still there, and it's not just a denial thing. It's something to hope for, and something to trust in, if it is the Lord's will. Besides, miracles come in many forms. I've experienced many already, and I know that there are more to look forward to.

Whether my sister-in-law's dream comes true or not, I am reminded of the words from the last verse of one of my favorite hymns:

I believe in Christ; he stands supreme!
From him I'll gain my fondest dream;
And while I strive through grief and pain,
His voice is heard: "Ye shall obtain."
I believe in Christ, so come what may,
With him I'll stand in that great day
When on this earth he comes again
To rule among the sons of men.

1 comment:

Andrew McAllister said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for any kind of miracle, be it a misdiagnosis or otherwise. Good luck!

Andrew ("To Love, Honor and Dismay")