Sunday, December 24, 2006

On the twelfth day of Christmas

On the twelfth day of Christmas, the good Lord gave to me...

...twelve months a-living
...eleven loved ones feasting
...a "10" for a husband
...my "nine-year-old" favorite story
...eight hours of sleep
...seven book group buddies
...six hours of (good) sleep
...five Messiah solos (and one duet)
...four Mighty Oakes
...three Hallelujah cheers
...two chemo drugs
...and an MRI with good news we could see!

Not to sound grim, but I know that none of us is guaranteed to be here for the next twelve minutes, let alone the next twelve months. (And that's regardless of whether one has a cancer diagnosis.) Each day is a gift, and we don't know how many we will receive, so each day should be regarded as priceless and possibly rare.

I have been blessed to enjoy many more days than others with my diagnosis. Twelve months and still going -- the Energizer Bunny in me is doing okay so far. And as I have said in earlier posts, I am not just maintaining a pulse. I am living, thanks to the merciful and miraculous preservation of abilities and opportunities. Thanks to (expensive but) top-notch medical expertise and innovative technology. Thanks to loving supporters who have showered me with countless acts of kindness, words of encouragement, and prayers that have been heard, recorded, and answered in wonderful ways. And most of all, thanks to the One who hears and answers those prayers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

amen :)