Thursday, April 19, 2007

Things aren't always what they seem

I think twelve days is my record for CDWB (consecutive days without blogging), and I really don't want to beat that.

Things aren't always what they seem. I'm still around. I'm still having fun. Easter was once again a wonderful reminder that no matter where this cancer experience takes me, the Savior's work was perfectly finished in order to ensure that I can overcome anything that happens to me. Shortly after Easter weekend (which included singing Messiah and marveling that I was still able to enjoy that wonderful experience) I discovered that I had depleted all my energy, and I spent a while feeling lousy. Not too lousy, but lousy enough to lay low for a while.

With all that energy drained, and with the earlier dip in my CBC's (which rebounded just enough for another round of chemo) I was convinced that my next panel of labwork would show that I was anemic. But things aren't always what they seem, and my results came out good enough for more chemotherapy today. Maybe all that fatigue had something to do with my body's refusal to sleep as much as it should.

Speaking of things not being what they seem, I have to share a favorite story that I once received in what I like to call "faith-promoting emails":

Things Aren't Always What They Seem
--Author Unknown

Two traveling angels stopped to spend the night in the home of a wealthy family. The family was rude and refused to let the angels stay in the guestroom of the mansion. Instead, they were given a space in the cold basement.

As they made their bed on the hard floor, the older angel saw a hole in the wall and repaired it. When the younger angel asked why, the older angel replied, "Things aren't always what they seem". The next night the pair came to rest at the house of a very poor, but very hospitable farmer and his wife. After sharing what little food they had, the couple let the angels sleep in their bed where they could have a good night's rest. When the sun came up the next morning the angels found the farmer and his wife in tears. Their only cow, whose milk had been their sole income, lay dead in the field.

The younger angel was infuriated and asked the older angel "How could you have let this happen!? The first man had everything, yet you helped him. The second family had little but was willing to share everything, and you let their cow die." The older angel replied, "Things aren't always what they seem. When we stayed in the basement of the mansion, I noticed there was gold in that hole in the wall. Since the owner was so obsessed with greed and unwilling to share his good fortune, I sealed the wall so he wouldn't find it. Then last night as we slept in the farmers bed, the angel of death came for his wife. I gave her the cow instead. Things aren't always what they seem."
Darn--too bad we don't have any cows, in case some traveling angels come by. But it's nice to know that our limited view of things can be so flawed. That's why we need to trust in the Lord instead of the arm of flesh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such an amazing woman. You have truly been an example to me. Thank you for everything you taught me while I was in Plano. You will never know how much of an influence you had on my life. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I wish you only the very best!

(Oh, and your book was wonderful. I really enjoyed reading it. It helped me understand a lot better what infertility is like. It has helped to me to be to help my sister-in-law who is experiencing that right now.)

I would love to here from you if you get a chance. theburks1706@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the angel story Krista. I've had some of my own faith-promoting experiences lately, and your story added to what I've been experiencing.

Love ya!
Teri