Wednesday, April 04, 2007

What a difference a day makes

Yesterday morning I woke up with a nasty dull ache in my stomach and a lingering, unsettling feeling--despite the "good" MRI--as though it somehow wasn't being processed as good news.

Fortunately, however, the day quickly improved. I was showered with encouraging phone calls from family members. And then I got an assignment to speak at an upcoming women's meeting at our church, which immediately gave me something exciting to focus on. My son came home from a good day at school--his third one in a row--which qualified him for a fun lesson in making marshmallow crispy treats with me. My sister-in-law, who is in the hospital gestating our future niece, loves those treats, and Jacob was so cute and happy, fixing her a plate of them, along with a card that he lovingly scrawled a message on.

A few people let me know that they received the latest Deseret Book catalog, which features my book, and our book group also met last night at my house to talk about my book and get their copies signed.

Somewhere in the midst of all these fun things, I finally got the phone call I had been hoping for: the new labwork that they did on Monday came back much better than last Thursday's results. I can have my regularly planned treatment this week. The quick recovery of my bone marrow is nothing short of miraculous, so big thanks again for the many prayers that helped bring that about. What a crazy life - to be in a position where "getting" to have chemotherapy is something to be excited about.

Needless to say, I awakened this morning with no aching pit in my stomach; just the usual flood of "to-do" tasks for the day and a feeling of gratitude that I have another day of life and things to do with it.

3 comments:

Dedee said...

Krista, What is your book called?

Anonymous said...

Hugs and good thoughts!!!

Anonymous said...

Krista, I bought your book yesterday. I can't wait to read it. Wish I lived close enough to get my copy signed too!

Congrats on your good results.