Thursday, January 03, 2008

My Bucket List

There's a new movie coming out called The Bucket List, starring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. It's basically about two terminal cancer patients, who decide to
leave the hospital and do all the things on their "bucket list": a list of things they wanted to do before they kick the bucket and die.

From what I've seen so far, their list includes things like skydiving and race car driving. (Grab-life-with-gusto kind of stuff.) According to the synopsis in imdb.com, they do these things and "ultimately find the joy in life".

It looks like a cute movie, and I'm sure many people will like it. Making the most out of life is a good thing.

Personally, however, my bucket list is different. With sand pouring through the hourglass, I don't feel a desire to go skydiving or anything else that would make the sand move faster. (Although a skydiving accident is a guaranteed way to avoid dying from cancer!)

Here are things from my bucket list:
1. Write a book. (done)
2. Write another book. (I have ten in embryo, hoping I won't need another setback to kick me into gear.)
3. Teach my children everything that I can.
4. Write my life story.
5. Take my son to the Museum of Science and Industry. (done)
6. See my family and friends as much as possible.
7. Sing Messiah as many times as I can (four so far, and counting!)
8. Make something useful out of this experience.
9. Break all my bad habits, and turn all my weaknesses into strengths.
10. Do as much temple work as possible.
11. Organize all the family memorabilia and pictures, so their stories will be known.
12. Get my house in order, so I don't leave a mess behind.
13. Record my voice while it's still good.
14. Read and sing to my kids as much as possible.
15. Magnify my new calling as a Relief Society teacher.
16. Serve a church mission with my husband.
17. Make lasting (good) memories with my family and friends.
18. Make amends for any offenses (intentional or not).
19. Get my black belt in karate. (getting closer to blue)
20. Help my son create a winning science fair project.
21. Teach my daughter to sing.
22. Read the scriptures as many times as I can.
23. Dance with my husband again. (and again...and again...)
24. Tackle unfinished business (stuff like learning to play the piano, mastering algebra, going to graduate school, finally finishing an unabridged copy of Les Miserables).
25. Give someone hope. If I can live past my expiration date without going sour, anyone can.

Those are just the first 25 that came off the top of my head. I want more out of life than the rush of a daredevil adventure. I want things that I can take with me, and things that will continue after me.

And okay, I'll be honest...I want things that will take a while to finish, so that hopefully I'll have to stay here!

No comments: