Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Kind of fun

Whenever I go to my karate lesson I notice the inspirational quote that my sensei puts on the wall.

This week's was definitely blog-worthy. It's a quote from Walt Disney:

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

Sometimes the "impossible" is just something that isn't expected. Sometimes it merely requires some extra imagination, effort, or a willingness to step outside of our comfort zone, combined perhaps with a little luck. Sometimes the "impossible" just takes a little faith.

Surviving glioblastoma for more than three years is hardly impossible. Statistics (which are not fun) suggested it would be a long shot. But I'm not the only one who has been able to do it. And I can look back on moments of imagination, effort, and stepping outside my comfort zone. I can look back on moments where my faith was tested and strengthened.

Cancer isn't fun. But over the past three years there have been moments of celebration each time a milestone is reached. Moments of gratitude at the dawning of each new day. Moments when the routine became cherished. Moments when relationships became more dear and love was expressed more frequently. Moments when I finally dusted off old goals (like writing a book and working toward a black belt) and put some action toward them. Moments when I could find a reason to laugh and make the terrible more bearable.

If life were Disney World, I doubt I would have picked the ride that I'm on. But since I'm on it, I'm grateful that this ride has moments that are kind of fun!

No comments: