Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Everything is a neuro test

It's funny how any situation can put a different pair of "glasses" on, so that everything is seen in a new way. For example, right now, everything seems like a neuro test. If I go out to get the mail, and I bound (carefully) up the front steps leading to my house, I notice how coordinated my actions are, and I think: "Good - I passed that neuro test!"

The other day I was sorting socks in my closet, and I began enumerating the neurological functions that were required in order to complete that task: short-term memory, organizational ability, etc. Last night I sang at a women's group event at our church, and it was a female barbershop quartet version of "You'll Never Walk Alone", and I had the "lead" voice. I sang those tight harmonies and all those words from memory. Of course, it was because I couldn't find where I had put my copy of the music, so I had to take off a couple points for that!!! Today I was filling out my son's Scholastic Book order form, and I added up the totals in my head. Self-administered neuro tests - and all passed!

By the way, the words to that song I did last night are very relevant to me:

When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark;
At the end of the storm is a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of a lark.
Walk on through the wind, walk on through the rain,
Though your dreams be tossed and blown,
Walk on, walk on with hope in your heart,
And you'll never walk alone; you'll never walk alone.

Hey, hey - I just put that down from memory, so I guess I just passed another one!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Krista,

I'm keeping up with your blog, and am finding it inspiring, terrifying and amazing by turns!

I have a question for you, if you feel like answering it (different components to a neuro test maybe?=)

How would you prefer people to talk about what you're surviving? That is, not mention cancer by name and just keep on "as normal", or mention it straight out in conversation, or say "I'm sorry that you have cancer", wait until you bring it up - or something else? Or does it change by the hour? Just interested on your thoughts on it, that's all.

Also.... what's a gas-pump virgin?
Best wishes and prayers each day,
Selwyn, from Australia (maybe that's why I don't get the gas-pump thing!)