Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Krista Oakes: "Cancer Survivor"

First of all, thanks to the many who have left comments or let me know by phone or email that your prayers would be with me as I did my MRI. I did go into that scan feeling very calm because I was being carried and sustained by those prayers. I was NOT told what the scans looked like yet (maybe I will know in the next day or so), but I feel okay and not at all nervous like I thought I would be.

Meanwhile, I learned something kind of cool: I am a "cancer survivor". I was approached about an upcoming American Cancer Society fundraiser in my area, where they are doing a Relay For Life. Part of the event includes a memorial for those who have lost their battle with cancer, and a tribute to "cancer survivors". I was asked to fill out information so they can recognize me as a cancer survivor. It shocked me, because I always thought the term referred to those who were cured. But the American Cancer Society person who talked to me explained that "You are a cancer survivor from the minute you are diagnosed." So basically once you are told you have cancer, and as long as you are not dead yet, you are a "cancer survivor". So, woo hoo - I am a cancer survivor of about two and a half months! Let's hope I stay one for a lot longer!

The Destiny's Child song, "Survivor" kept going through my head, so I had to take the lyrics and change them a little, so I can sing it to my cancer:

Now that you are in my life, I'm so much better
You thought that I'd be weak with ya, but I'm stronger
You thought that I'd be broke with ya, but I'm richer
You thought that I'd be sad with ya, but I laugh harder
You thought I wouldn't grow with ya, now I'm wiser
You thought that I'd be helpless with ya, but I'm smarter
You thought that I'd be stressed with ya, but I'm chillin'
You thought I wouldn't reach with ya, I'll reach a million.

I'm a survivor, I'm not gonna give up
I'm not gon' stop, I'm gonna work harder
I'm a survivor, I'm gonna make it
I will survive, Keep on survivin'

Thought I couldn't breathe with you, I'm inhalin'
You thought I couldn't see with you, perfect vision,
You thought I couldn't last with ya, but I'm lastin'
You thought that I would die with ya, but I'm livin'
Thought that I would fail with ya, but I'm on top
Though it would be over by now, but it won't stop,
You thought that I would self-destruct, but I'm still here,
Even in my years to come, I'm still gon' be here.

I'm wishin' you'll be gone,
Pray that I'll keep hanging on,
With much success, no stress, and lots of happiness,
(I'm gonna have that)
I'm gonna blast you with radiation,
(It's better than you )
I'm gonna poison you with medication,
(It's better than you)
I'm not gonna hate what you've done to me,
(I'm better than that)
I'm not gonna compromise my Christianity,
(I'm better than that)
I'm gonna blog about you on the Internet
And keep the faith, 'cause my momma taught me how to do that.
After all of the darkness and sadness
Still comes happiness,
If I surround myself with positive things
I'll gain prosperity.
I'm a survivor...(etc...)

No comments: