Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Out of the Mouths of Babes

Cute kid story # 1: My niece, Madison, (age 6) had overheard her parents talking about a family fast that was going to be held this past Sunday on my behalf. As my brother tucked her in, she said, "We're going to fast for Krista tomorrow?" My brother explained to his daughter that he would, but she was too young to have to worry about it. She looked at him and said, "I'd like to try." (Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!)

Cute kid story # 2: My son, Jacob (age 4). On Monday evening we decided to tell him about what would be going on. I explained that I had an "owie" in my head that was making me feel sick, and so I would go to the hospital next week so that the doctors could go in and take it out. It would help me feel better. I further explained that I might look funny at first, and have a bandage on my head, and maybe even do silly things, but I would be okay.

Jacob started to cry. I asked him why he was crying and reassured him that I would be okay. He shook his head and said, "You going to crack your head open!" (Regurgitating all the warnings I gave about "don't crack your head open" whenever I caught him rough-housing on his playground or the slippery wood floor in our family room or the stairs. ) I explained that I would NOT crack my head open; that the doctor would go in very very carefully and take out the "owie", then put everything back together again. I also told him that if he wanted to, he could pray for me to get better, and it would help us both feel a lot better. So now each prayer (including prayers on the food) includes a request to "help Mommy get better". (Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!)

No comments: