Thursday, December 22, 2005

Today Was a Good Day

In the movie, "Christmas With the Kranks", there is a scene where the family's neighbor (who is dying of cancer) is asked how she is doing. She replies, "I have my good days and my bad days. Today was a good day!"

I thought about that today. Today was a good day for me.

I had a good night's sleep, and awoke to some productive writing for a project that I am working on.

At 9:00 the doorbell rang, and my fairy godmothers showed up. These were women from my church who arrived with buckets and pails of cleaning supplies and excited giggles. They scrubbed my house from top to bottom while I went to a doctor's appointment.

I met with the neurosurgeon for my post-op follow-up. My brother came with me so that he could speak doctor-to-doctor with my surgeon. It was a constructive visit that made us feel good.

"Part A" of the visit was basic post-op stuff: getting my stitches and staples out, assessing the incision area, talking about medications, discussing return to normal activities, identifying things to watch for.

"Part B" of the visit was "okay, now what" stuff. Starting work on the battle plan for my life. The doctor reiterated that my age, the location of the tumor, and the chemo wafer, were all favorable conditions that may help maximize my potential prognosis. Next steps include radiation and chemotherapy, starting in January. I will be referred to a neuro oncologist and a radiation oncologist. We have some idea of what to expect in the next couple of months.

I stopped by my business office and picked up a check from a client. We returned home to the smell of Pine Sol and the sight of gleaming wood floors. We shared a nice lunch as a family, including a young woman who came by to play with the children so I could rest.

I had a good nap and awakened to flowers, visitors, phone calls, and a nice meal. My youngest brother is on his way to our house for a few days. He should be here soon. We love spending time with family.

I read some books to my son as I tucked him into bed. Then I told him the story of when he was born and we adopted him, and we looked tearfully at each other as I expressed my love for him. It was one of those "wish I could suspend in time" moments. It was wonderful.

Today was a good day.

No comments: