Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Being Scarlett

(Wow - I have been quite the prolific blogger today! I think this is, like, my seventh post today!)

My favorite movie of all time is Gone With the Wind. It used to seem like such a long movie until I read the book, and now it seems like it skims through the story. I love it, used to watch it often, and used to be able to quote practically the whole movie. I haven't watched it as much for a while, but it is still a big favorite of mine.

There is one scene where Scarlett is working in the hospital, and she has had enough of seeing the carnage there. The breaking point is when an amputation is about to take place. She flees the scene and when the doctor tries to talk her back into it, she stomps her feet. "I've had enough of death and rot and...death...I won't take it anymore!"

There are times when I feel like Scarlett. I just want to stomp my feet and say, "I've had enough of cancer! I won't take it anymore!" And I somehow want to walk away from the whole thing and have it be gone.

Unfortunately, for both Scarlett and myself, there are still tribulations ahead, as much as we want to avoid them. As someone put it once, you can't go around adversity. You can't climb over it or tunnel under it. You have to go THROUGH it. The through part is the worst of it. But usually once you emerge, you are all the stronger. I have to remind myself that this is the through part. It's nasty and awful, and may get worse before it gets better. At some point there will be a light at the end of the tunnel. (I just hope it's not a tunnel of light, with dead loved ones waving me into it!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Gone with the wind" is a very famous and popular book in Russia.

It's my favorite book too. Being Scarlett from your view is very tough. Same time, Scarlett has a great strong phylosophy: I will think about it tomorrow. It gives her time to release her problems today if she is tired and starts each new day with a fresh mind. I try to use this phylosophy as much as I can. It helps me!