Friday, January 20, 2006

Duellin' Banjos!!!!

Best thing of the day:

My husband and I pulled out our CD, put on our clogging shoes, and tried to resurrect our smokin' routine to Duellin' Banjos. My body is SOOOOOO worn out, but I took it easy today and caught a few winks of nap, and I was motivated by the need to exercise. Clog dancing is pretty strenuous, but I figured taking it in small doses would be okay. And it was great! Long ago, we fell in love dancing together on the same team in high school. Somewhere in a box in our attic are the trophies from our days of "buck and wing" duet competitions. Dancing is a celebration of life, and this was a celebration of one of the best times of my life. Falling in love with my best friend, my soul mate. The man who would marry me and return my love tenfold. The man who would be a beloved father and example to our children.

We remembered ALMOST all of the routine. Certainly enough to have some fun. Enough to wake up our daughter, who was sleeping in the next room. But I'm sure we'll try it again sometime.

Having a mortal body has its pros and cons - kind of like it's own "duellin' banjos". On the one hand, our bodies are subject to everything from ugly toes to headaches to acne to broken bones, cellulite, and lots of other ailments, including illnesses like cancer and (ultimately) death. On the other hand, having a body has its fun moments. We can laugh and cry and hug and kiss. We can play and jump and tickle. We can roll down hills. We can ride a bike. We can sing. We can DANCE. We can say, "I love you". Heck, we can even blog! And more!

Bitter and sweet, duelling together. Fortunately, we have faith in the One who renders the bitter parts temporary. Someday we will all be free from the bitter, including death. Someday we will have the fulness of joy that comes from reuniting our eager spirits with a body that is incorruptible. As Job said, "I know that my Redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth. And though worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God."

Today I mourned a little for the bitter parts of this mortal experience. But then I put on my shoes and celebrated the life and the love that this very imperfect body has allowed me to enjoy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i have read your entry each day, i can not believe the emotion that you put into your words. write when you have a moment
elizabeth butler-demma
byeli@prodigy.net