Thursday, January 05, 2006

Fear of a Red Shirt

As I dressed this morning, I put on my favorite solid black "party pants" (I have lots of comfy, long jammie pants for convalescing around the house, and I call them "party pants", after I found a book called, "Life is Short - Wear Your Party Pants"). I then shopped my closet for the right shirt to wear. As my eyes rested on one of my favorite long-sleeve tees (just right for January in Texas, where the high will be in the 60's today, but I'll be in the house where it's warmer), I had to giggle to myself and say, "Oh, no - a red shirt!"

I have lots of red shirts. I like red. It's a power color. I was born on July 25, and as a Leo (and recovering control freak), I like power. Rubies are my birthstone. Red is my favorite color. Even my son likes red. Whenever we play a board game, we both clamor for the red gamepiece.

BUT - if you're a character on Star Trek (especially a relatively obscure one) and the wardrobe department puts you in a red shirt, you'd better call your agent for a new acting gig. It's always the obscure character in the red shirt that gets killed off in Star Trek episodes. Now, I know I'm not a character on Star Trek, but I am a huge fan of the TV series, "Lost", and as we watch and try to guess who may or may not survive in any given episode, my husband and I often joke about looking for someone in a red shirt. It's the mark of a marked person. Since death is kind of a relevant topic nowadays, I felt a little silly grabbing my own red shirt.

So anyway, here I sit in that red shirt and my party pants, trying not to feel ominous! Instead, I decided to think that I am simply a visual embodiment of the title of that fun book, "Life is Short - Wear Your Party Pants"!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying for you today.

http://www.sbc.net/knowjesus/theplan.asp

WendyLou said...

Hey,

It is usually a nameless red-shirt ensign that gets killed.

Since we all know your name, and you are the "captain" of this blog, I think you are safe. I am praying you are safe.

I mean, Captain Picard and Riker all wore the red shirt, and they survived. (I won't mention the times they died and came back.)

Wear the red shirt. My favorite blouse (read I wear it way to often for someone with a closet full of clothes) is red, and I love it.

I just wanted to let you know that I renewed your name on the Ogden Utah temple's prayer roll yesterday. I think when one knows prayers are being said, it gives them strength.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Krista!! I try to read your article everyday. Find myself thinking about your situation when I'm having a less than perfect day (which is daily).
Sometimes I have nights when I don't want to go to sleep for fear of never waking up?? Instant death among people 40+ runs in our family on both sides and the older I get, the closer I get. (I'm only 40!)Life is more precious now than it was 5 years ago. I guess life should be precious now for everyone than it was five years ago. May the Lord be with you and give you peace,strength, and grace.
Theresa A.